“One day perhaps we shall find an ideal music which will be neither popular nor classical, highbrow nor lowbrow, but an art in which all can take part”
- Ralph Vaughan Williams
Using his backgrounds in classical and jazz music, violinist Tim Kliphuis breaks down the barriers to create a unique concert where ‘high’ and ‘low’ art meet. The depth of Ludwig van Beethoven and the excitement of Stephane Grappelli meet in a ground-breaking programme featuring classical, jazz and folk repertoire and Kliphuis originals – arranged for orchestra in a seamless blend of orchestral and solo, classical and improvised.
The debut and reprise of this programme, sold out and to critical acclaim, were with the Netherlands Chamber Orchestra in Paradiso, Amsterdam.
8, 9 and 10 May 2015 see the premiere in Amsterdam, Haarlem and Alkmaar of Tim’s new project “Vivaldi on the Road” – an excitingly fresh, improvised version of the Four Seasons.
- More info, clips and quotes: Tim Kliphuis orchestral promo page
String and chamber orchestra scores and parts are currently available for the following repertoire for Tim Kliphuis Trio and orchestra:
- A. Vivaldi – Four Seasons (selection)
- D. Ellington – Suite: African Flower, Isfahan, Caravan
- R. Strauss – Morgen
- T. Kliphuis – Astor’s Dream, Couscous and Butter
- A. Copland – Fanfare for the Common Man and Hoedown
- J. McLaughlin – A Lotus on Irish Streams, Dance of Maya
- S. Grappelli – Souvenir de Villingen
- G. Faure – Nocturne No. 1
- N. Paganini – Caprice No. 24